Joint Defense Board directives not respected by parties – peace monitors

Chairpersons of the joint Defence Board Presiding over meeting in Juba (File/Supplied/Nyamilepedia)

August 12th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – Directives by South Sudan’s Joint Defense Board (JDB) are not being respected by parties to the agreement, ceasefire monitors said Saturday.

The Ceasefire & Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring & Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM) reported this during the 9th CTSAMVM Board Meeting held recently in Juba.

Chairman General Desta Abiche said during a meeting in Juba that the order by the JDB for forces to assemble not later than July 31 has not been respected by the parties.

“The CTSAMVM welcomed the order by the JDB for forces to assemble in Cantonment Sites by 31 July, but note that this has not been achieved,” said the CTSAMM’s General Abiche said.

On July 21, the Joint Defense Board (JDB) issued an ultimatum to SSPDF troops and opposition forces to gather in their assembly areas before August, however, the order from the JDB heads has not yet been implemented.

The CTSAMVM Technical Committee
confirmed that it had discussed and endorsed 4 violation reports:
1: Concerning recruitment and training by TGoNU Police,
2: Attacks against the SSPDF forces by National Salvation Front (NAS) in Yei River State,
3:  Abduction of women from an IDP camp by SPLM/SPLA-IO forces in Western Equatoria,
4: And violence against civilians perpetrated by the SSPDF forces in Yei River State.

The CTSAMM acknowledged that a number of civilians buildings previously occupied by the military are being vacated.

“Despite the challenges posed by the rainy season, we have seen a number of vacations of civilian buildings but a significant number of buildings remain occupied,” the CTSAMM confirmed.

The ceasefire monitoring body, CTSAMM, has so far managed to assess 33 cantonment sites identified by the Joint Defense Board (JDB).

Leave a Reply