August 6th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – The Ceasefire & Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring & Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM) has said there has been no ceasefire violations by the parties across the country with the army briefly denying access for peace monitors to an area..
South Sudan government and opposition groups signed a revitalized version of a 2015 peace agreement in September last year in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa. A permanent ceasefire agreement was signed early in June 2018.
Speaking at the opening session of the Technical Committee meeting in Juba on Monday, the CTSAMM Chairman, Maj. Gen. Desta Abiche Ageno, underscored that considerable progress had been made in the implementation of the Revitalized Peace Agreement.
The head of the CTSAMM noted that despite the intermittent roadside attacks, overall security situations in major parts of the country remain calm without ceasefire violations by the parties to the agreement.
“The ceasefire continues to hold with no reported incidents of clashes between the Parties to the Revitalized Agreement. CTSAMVM continues to monitor the overall security situation and reports of tension in order to encourage early mediation to prevent escalation,” General Abiche said.
“Since we last met, there have been several incidents of violence reported including an ambush on the Juba Nimule road, an ambush on the Yei-Kaya Road, and the incident at Lobonok in July. These incidents are being investigated by CTSAMVM,” Abiche added.
General Abiche further revealed that there had been a brief denial of access by the South Sudan’s People Defense Forces (SSPDF) against ceasefire monitors but said the matter was solved the same day before the monitors were eventually allowed to access an area.
“I am happy to report that there have been very few denials of access reported since the last CTC meeting. Until 24 July, SSPDF 3rd Division continued to deny access to CTSAMVM for verification, but on this date the issue was resolved and access allowed,” the statement added.