May 30th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – The United States government has denied reports that it has deployed troops to South Sudan in pursuance to a regime change agenda.
Some South Sudanese media houses reported last week that the Trump Administration was deploying troops to the country in support of planned d protests that calls for the removal of President Salva Kiir Mayardiit from power.
The report initially published in ‘The Dawn’ newspaper last week further alleged that the United States was in contact with holdout NAS leader, General Thomas Cirilo Swaka, to continue rejecting the revitalized peace agreement signed last year by the government and opposition groups.
Alexander Laskaris, a Germany-based deputy commander for civil-military engagement at the U.S African command center described the reports as ‘inaccurate’ and says any deployment of U.S military is done in coordination with the host country.
He made the remarks during an online briefing to journalists in Juba on Tuesday.
“Right now we don’t have deployments into South Sudan, the last time there was major unrest in Juba in July 2016 -in response to the potential need to assist US citizens in distress, we predeployed some assets to the region. We have done that before, we’d do it again,” he said
“We tell them exactly what we are doing, we seek permission to fly over their territory and to land at the airports and we tell them every step of the way what we are doing” he added.