South Sudan minister says agreement “not renegotiable”

South Sudan Minister of Cabinet Affairs Dr. Martin Elia Lomoro (File/Supplied/Nyamilepedia)

March 14th 2019 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan’s revitalized peace agreement signed in September last year is not renegotiable, senior government official told the Nyamilepedia on Wednesday.

South Sudan’s Minister of Cabinet Affairs, Dr. Elia Martin Lomoro who is also a member of the National Pre-transitional Committee (NPTC) told the Nyamilepedia during an exclusive interview in the Egyptian capital Cairo that the government is not in a position to reopen the agreement for renegotiation with armed groups and in Cirilo in particular.

“The agreement is not renegotiable. Thomas [Cirilo Swaka] will get it right in his head,” Lomoro said. “First of all,  he signed the cessation of hostilities agreement in December 2017 and he signed the permanent ceasefire agreement [in June 2018]  as part of SSOA [South Sudan Opposition Alliance]. What he need to do is to go back to SSOA.”

He said the government will not reopen the agreement for renegotiation because it has always been a recipe for further rebellion against the government by individual who seek power.

“The agreement is not renegotiable because South Sudan has become a country renowned for anarchy. Everyone simply rebel [to] create a party,  create a movement,  create a front in order to be considered as a great nationalist who is fighting for something for the people of South Sudan,” Lomoro said.

Lomoro further said the ongoing wars that are waged by opposition groups against the government are not aimed for the welfare of the people in which they would be delivered services but said are waged to gain power instead.

“These wars that are happening are never wars to provide services to the people of South Sudan. These are wars by people who want to create for  themselves positions,” he said.

He added the government will not reopen the agreement with Cirilo to avoid other rebellions against the system in the future.

“So, we cannot open [the agreement] for renegotiation with one group then tomorrow with another group and then with another group. It make the all peace process a joke,” he further said.

He further reiterated his government’s readiness to welcome all the opposition leaders and groups to the implementation of the peace agreement that is already signed but said will not reopen the agreement for renegotiation again.

“We are ready for everybody who want to join the peace process but it does not mean we will reopen the agreement for renegotiation. We are not going to reopen the whole peace process [just] because of one person or one group, no,” minister Lomoro further added.