South Sudan peace process gaining momentum: ceasefire monitors

Major General Ibrahim Abdeljellil, CTSAMVM Chairman, speaking during the second board meeting of the ceasefire monitoring body (Photo credit: CTSAMVM)

Novemeber 8th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan’saying peace monitoring body, the Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring and Verification Mechanism  (CTSAMVM) said on Wednesday that the ongoing South Sudan peace progress is gaining momentum.

The body is currently meeting in the Sudanese capital Khartoum for its fourth meeting since it’s revitalization.

The Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring Mechanism noted that since the signing of the revitalised peace deal by the South Sudanese warring parties, the peace process had begun to gather significant strength, adding that the speeches delivered during the National Peace Celebration as well as the release of high profile opposition figures are indicative of seriousness on the side of the parties.

“Since the last meeting, the peace process has gained further momentum. Leaders from all parties joined hands in celebrating the R-ARCSS on October 31st, 2018, in Juba. The warm and reconciliatory speeches to the public demonstrated the Parties serious commitment to the peace process. The release of high profile Opposition figures from detention is also a commendable gesture which will go far in building trust amongst the Parties,” he said.

The Ceasefire Monitoring body, noticed that the ceasefire is still being observed in major parts of the country, however some areas are still witnessing insecurity.

“As previously reported the Ceasefire continues to hold in the majority of the country however there are still some areas experiencing hostilities. On November 1st 2018, a Joint Team composed of party representatives and CTSAMVM staff made a successful visit to Yei Town and Panyume,” he said.

The CTSAMVM pointed out that the recent meeting between commanders from both sides yielded fruits and the opposing commanders agreed to keep their respective forces under restraint.

“Representatives of the parties collectively communicated to local commanders the clear commitment of party leadership to the Permanent Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements. All the forces in the area agreed to establish lines of communication with Opposing Commanders and gave commitments to ensure their forces remain in their positions and do not carry out any hostile action that is prohibited by the ceasefire agreement,” the statement further said.

The Ceasefire Monitoring body, which has been tasked with supervising the implementation of the permanent ceasefire said, it’s still receiving disturbing and alleged reports from both sides.

“Unfortunately, despite the decisions of the last CTC meeting, CTSAMVM is receiving an increasing number of allegations from the parties, including reports of fighting, recruitment, displacement, and sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV). There is ongoing fighting in the Wau area and continued reports of conflict in the Yei area. CTSAMVM teams were repeatedly denied access on verification activities by the SSPDF senior commanders and once by the SPLA-IO. We urge parties to clearly and forcefully communicate orders to field commanders at all levels and make your commitments here at the CTC credible and deliverable,” said Maj. Gen. Ibrahim.

The group was highly disappointed after their workshop was called off due to insufficient contact details from some nationals.

“All parties have completed nominations to the CTC bodies however it is disappointing that we were forced to postpone our training program for national monitors as the contact information provided by the parties was not sufficient” and finally the CTSAMVM called upon the warring parties to work together for peace.

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.