Pro-government media authority claim no intimidation against journalists for almost year
August 16th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – The pro-government media authority claimed on Wednesday that there has not been any reported issues against South Sudan journalists by the state security for almost one year.
President Kiir established the media authority in 2015 and appointed its boards to coordinate between the government and the South Sudanese journalists in case of misunderstanding between the two parties.
In a statement to the Eye Radio on Wednesday, the Chairperson of the Media Authority, Elijah Alier, said for the last eight months or one year, there has been no incident reported against the journalists or intimidation against the journalists.
“For the last eight months or 1 year, there is no any incident where the media has been subjected to national security, unless if it is something not related to the media and it is something purely security in nature, this is what they can handle without us,” he told Eye Radio.
He said intimidation and summoning by government officials against journalists no longer there praising the role he claimed is being played by the government-appointed media authority.
“Previously you will see government officials rushing to the media summoning them; that is no longer there now. If they have complain, they come to media authority. The media also if they have complaint, they come to the media authority,” he said.