Text: Kampala Proposal on remaining issues presented to Kiir and Machar
July 8th 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – The Ugandan President, Yoweri Museveni and the Sudanese President Omar Hassan Ahmed Al-Bashir on Saturday presented a proposal on the outstanding issues to President Kiir and opposition and SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny-Dhurgon. Below is the proposal in text as seen by the Nyamilepedia.
– The President, Salva Kiir Mayardiit
– First Vice President, Dr. Riek Machar Teny
– Second Vice President, Taban Deng Gai.
– Third Vice President James Wani Igga.
– Fourth Vice President (to be nominated by the opposition).
Number of States during the Transitional Period
– The number of the states shall remain 32 as they are.
– An Interim Border Commission to be established to study, submit their recommendations within 180 days from the day it assume activities.
On Cabinet governance issue
– There shall be 45 minister during the Transitional Government of National Unity.
– Government will have 30 ministers, Machar’s SPLM-IO to get 10 and other opposition groups to have five ministers.
South Sudan Parliament
– There shall be 550 MPS in the South Sudan Parliament
– Government to maintain current 400 MPs
– Machar’s SPLM-IO to have 100
– Other opposition groups to have 50 MPs
The government of President Salva Kiir promptly accepted the proposal but all the opposition groups, Machar’s SPLM-IO, The South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA) and the SPLM-FDs asked for break to consults. The mediators gave oppositions until July 10th 2018 submit their in writing to President Bashir.