Gatdet’s SSUM accuse government of ceasefire violation

Gen. Peter Gatdet Yaka gesture in a rebel-controlled territory in Jonglei State February 1, 2014. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic (SOUTH SUDAN)

Gen. Peter Gatdet Yaka gesture in a rebel-controlled territory in Jonglei State February 1, 2014. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic (SOUTH SUDAN)

April 22nd 2018 (Nyamilepedia) – South Sudan opposition forces loyal to former SPLA-IO commander Gen. Peter Gatdet Yaka complained Saturday of ceasefire violation by the government of South Sudan which it said had attacked their bases on Friday and Saturday morning.

Speaking to the Nyamilepedia on Saturday, Gen. Gatdet’s official spokesman Col. Gatkuoth Mut Turoah said the government attacked their base on Friday morning killing three civilian including a eight-year old child.

“The government troops came and attacked our military base in Panyilaang yesterday [Friday] at 2:15Pm where they killed three innocent civilians two women and one eight years old boy,” he said

He added that the government launched another attack on Saturday morning after the later failed to capture their base on Friday but he said their forces fought back to repulse the attack.

“This morning around 3:50 am they came with a very huge forces and attacked us again we fuoght back until we repulse them back,” he said.
In a statement he posted on his social media Facebook page, Col. Gatkuoth called on the regional and the international community to take what he called “tough decisions” to make peace by taking to book ceasefire violators.
South Sudan United Movement is one of the South Sudan Opposition Alliance lead by the former SPLA-IO Deputy Chief of Staffs for Operation Gen. Peter Gatdet Yaka who deserted the main armed opposition group in 2015 along with Gen. Gathoth Gatkuoth to protest the then proposed peace agreement with the government in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa. Gatdet revived the previous SSUM and become its leader saying he will fight the new transitional government led by Salva Kiir and Dr Machar in 2016.
However, he remained in Khartoum since then and in December 2017, his group was among many other armed groups which signed a Cessation of Hostilities (CoH) agreement with the South Sudanese government in the Ethiopian Capital Addis Ababa.

One comment

  • sallah Kenyingo

    I don’t see it wise to be report about the violators of the CoH agreement because at the end nothing will be done to the govt. IGAD/AU are nothing allies of the govt directly and indirectly. So better fight back. If a man slaps you, dont see it wise slapping him just give a blow.

Tell us what you think

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.