Message of congratulations to the newly re- elected President of Kenya-Uhuru Kenyatta.
By Lt. General Wesley Welebe Samson
Deputy Chief of Staff for Training
SPLA/M IO Headquarters
Dear President Uhuru,
August 11, 2017(Nyamilepedia) —– Please accept my congratulations for your democratic re- election as the new President for the Republic of Kenya. May Almighty God be you and guide you as you lead the people of Kenya.
Your Excellency, during your new term in office this time, we expect you to be more sincere, serious and tell President Salva Kiir what he needs to accept and do, so as to bring lasting peace in South Sudan. We appeal to you to help us to bring genuine lasting peace in our beloved country, take good care of our citizens currently living in Kenya as refugees. Kenya being a secretary of IGAD, We expect you this time, to draw lessons from the past failed efforts and play new key roles in the efforts to bring lasting peace in our country. However, in order for your newly re-elected government to help us achieve genuine lasting peace in The Republic of South Sudan, you have to look into the issues of South Sudan keenly and step by step. The first step for you to take is to recognize the fact that 2015 peace agreement is now dead and the current government of South Sudan which draws its legitimacy from this agreement has now become illegitimate and illegal in power. The second step is to accept the fact that South Sudan is now a failed State as we are now unable to help ourselves to bring peace in our beloved country, our economy has collapsed, insecurity has increased and President Salva has failed to govern the country. The third step is to visit some SPLA/M IO controlled areas, get views of people living in these areas, see their conditions and meet our Chairman and Commander in Chief Dr. Riek Machar and release him from the illegal detention in South Africa, invite him to come and stay in Kenya, so that he can participate effectively in South Sudan peace process. The fourth step is to talk to the Government of The Republic of South Sudan and South Sudan President to urgently take the following lines of action:-
- SPLA/M IG and the entire South Sudanese government, must go back to Addis Ababa for another round of peace talks, recommit itself to immediate permanent ceasefire, agree to revive and review the 2015 peace agreement with full participation and inclusion of all warring and political parties and start a new genuine implementation of the signed Peace Agreement, beginning with the following points:-
- Total demilitarization of Juba
- Immediate formation, training and deployment of Joint Integrated police to Juba town and other contested towns as per the signed peace agreement.
- Stop operationalization of the thirty two States with immediate effect and form a committee to look into this matter as per the previous IGAD Communiqué
- Immediate establishment of cantonment sites for all SPLA/M IO forces in Equatoria and other towns of South Sudan and provision of all needed logistics for them.
- Reconstitute the parliament and allow the Equatorians to choose a Speaker of their choice without any further manipulation and intimidation as stipulated in the signed peace agreement.
- Reconstitute/establish all institutions of governance as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement
- Start reform process of all institutions of governance as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement, beginning with Security Sector Reform.
- Recall all ambassadors, South Sudan Representatives to the United Nations and appoint new ones jointly with other parties as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement, taking into account tribal, geographical and regional balancing.
- Allow immediate and speedy deployment of a regional, neutral protection force to Juba and other disputed towns in South Sudan, so as to facilitate quick return of the First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar back to Juba to assume his responsibilities and continue with the implementation of the signed Peace Agreement. Remember that, there will be no peace in South Sudan without full involvement and participation of Dr. Riek Machar and SPLA/M IO Forces under his command, since we control most parts of South Sudan. His immediate release and full participation in the South Sudan peace process will surely bring lasting peace in our country.
- Stop wasting money on the current national dialogue as this dialogue will not stop the war and bring lasting peace in South Sudan
- Remove military from all roadblocks and check points in the Country and replace them with new trained police, so as to allow free movement of goods and people in and out of the country.
- Lift the state of emergency and allow people leaving the country to go without unnecessary security investigation and clearance.
- Release all individuals who are arrested because of having connections with SPLA/M IO and order the security forces not to arrest, torture or kill any civilians or loot their properties.
- All those who have lost their properties be compensated so that they can rebuild themselves and start a new life.
- Let the military be withdrawn from the SPLA/M IO base at Jebel, so that this base can be rehabilitated before the return of the First Vice President and his forces.
- Dismiss the current so called First Vice President Mr. Taban Deng Gai as he is the real obstacle to any peace agreement and has no control over SPLA/M IO Forces. He is no longer a member of SPLA/M IO and has no SPLA/M IO Forces under his command. He is now part of South Sudan government and uses South Sudan Army to fight SPLA/M IO forces. Therefore, anything to do with SPLA/M IO should not involve him.
- Increase and pay regular salaries of all government employees, who have now stayed six months without pay and are suffering with their families, instead wasting South Sudanese money and civil servants salaries to finance the war.
- The government must stop use of relief food as a weapon against the people of South Sudan. As I write to you now, civilians who are living in SPLA/M IO controlled areas are prevented from receiving any humanitarian assistance from UN and other humanitarian agencies. NGO working in South Sudan are not allowed to operate in SPLA/M IO controlled areas. This is a violation of human rights and international humanitarian law.
Your excellency, in case the Government of the Republic of South Sudan refuses to take all the above mentioned actions, so as to bring lasting peace to the suffering people of South Sudan, I call upon your government to impose Sanctions , including arms embargo, assets freeze and travel ban on the government of South Sudan, so as to force them to come to genuine negotiation table and sign a new, all inclusive, genuine peace agreement with all warring parties and opposition parties, so as to end the long suffering of the innocent people of South Sudan, many of whom have taken refuge to your country, Kenya.
Congratulations to you once again for your re-election as the new President of the Republic of Kenya.
Lt. General Wesley Welebe Samson
Deputy Chief of Staff for Training
SPLA/M IO Headquarters
August 9, 2017