National Dialogue and SPLM Reunification are not the immediate solutions to the current South Sudan conflict.
By Lt. General Wesley Welebe Samson,
August 06, 2017(Nyamilepedia) —— Following the current total collapse of 2015 peace agreement, economic collapse in Juba and all towns of South Sudan, which has now resulted to high inflation rate, high cost of living, absence of fuel in the market, non-payment of salaries for several months for military, organized forces, civil servants and South Sudan embassies, restriction of the movement of humanitarian Aid workers and UN to the needy areas, high death rate among infants, elderly men and women due to lack of provision of essential drugs and delays in the distribution of relief items, increased number of people under detention without trial by the government of South Sudan, oppression and silencing of the freedom of media, raping of women and looting of their properties by the South Sudan army in many parts of South Sudan, displacement of many South Sudanese both internally and in the neighboring countries in big numbers, I would like to tell President Salva Kiir that the solution to resolve all these problems is not the National Dialogue and reunification of SPLM. The solution is to stop the current war and bring lasting peace to the suffering people of South Sudan. Peace can be achieved if President Salva Kiir wakes up one morning and decides to do the following:-
- Dissolve the government with immediate effect and proceed to Addis Ababa to negotiate and sign a new peace agreement with all opposition groups and warring parties.
- Declare unconditional immediate ceasefire.
- Dismiss Taban Deng Gai and replace him with Dr. Riek Machar and recommit himself to the genuine and speedy implementation of the signed Peace Agreement, beginning with the following;
- Total demilitarization of Juba and other contested towns.
- Immediate training and deployment of Joint Integrated police to Juba town and other contested towns as per the 2015 signed peace agreement.
- Stop operationalization of the thirty two States http://ugateamunited.com/online/ with immediate effect and form a committee to look into this matter as per the previous IGAD Communiqué and return the country to ten original States in line with the 2015 signed peace agreement.
- Immediate establishment of cantonment sites for all SPLA/M IO forces and other opposition forces in Equatoria and other parts of South Sudan and provision of all needed logistics for them
- Reconstitute the parliament and allow the Equatorians to choose a Speaker of their choice without any further manipulation and intimidation as stipulated in the signed peace agreement.
- Reconstitute/establish all institutions of governance
- Start reform process of all institutions of governance
- Recall all ambassadors, South Sudan Representatives to the United Nations and appoint new ones jointly with other opposition groups and parties to the conflict, taking into account tribal, geographical and regional balancing.
- Support speedy deployment of a Regional Protection Force to Juba and other contested towns so as to restore peace, law and order.
- Remove military from all roadblocks and check points in the Country and replace them with new, joint and trained police, so as to allow free movement of goods, humanitarian relief and people in and out of the country.
- Lift the state of emergency and allow people leaving the country to go without unnecessary security investigation and clearance.
- Release all individuals who are arrested because of having connections with SPLA/M IO and order the security forces not to arrest, torture or kill any civilian or loot their properties.
- All those who have lost their properties be compensated so that they can rebuild themselves and start a new life.
- Restore the freedom of press
Once all the above mentioned actions are taken, national dialogue and SPLM reunification can be conducted and will succeed.
These are my humble recommendations to President Salva Kiir and all peace loving people of South Sudan, so as to bring lasting peace to the suffering people of South Sudan.
Lt. General Wesley Welebe Samson
Deputy Chief of Staff for Training
SPLA/M IO General Headquarters
August 6, 2017