Dear Ambassador Thomas,
August 4, 2017(Nyamilepedia) —— Please accept my congratulations for your timely appointment as a new United States Ambassador to South Sudan. Your appointment is a clear indication that President Donald Trump and the entire new United States Government is concerned and serious about the current situation in South Sudan and the suffering of South Sudan people. I am also convinced that the new United States Government would like to see genuine peace in South Sudan.
Your Excellency, in order for your government to help us achieve genuine lasting peace in South Sudan, the first step for you to take is to recognize the fact that 2015 peace agreement is now dead. The third step is to visit SPLA/M IO controlled areas and meet our leader Dr. Riek Machar. The fourth step is to talk to the Government of South Sudan and South Sudan President to urgently take the following lines of action:-
- SPLA/M IG and the entire South Sudanese government, must go back to Addis Ababa for another round of peace talks, recommit itself to immediate permanent ceasefire, agree to revive and review the 2015 peace agreement with full participation and inclusion of all warring and political parties and start a new genuine implementation of the signed Peace Agreement, beginning with the following points:-
- Total demilitarization of Juba
- Immediate formation, training and deployment of Joint Integrated police to Juba town and other contested towns as per the signed peace agreement.
- Stop operationalization of the thirty two States with immediate effect and form a committee to look into this matter as per the previous IGAD Communiqué
- Immediate establishment of cantonment sites for all SPLA/M IO forces in Equatoria and other towns of South Sudan and provision of all needed logistics for them.
- Reconstitute the parliament and allow the Equatorians to choose a Speaker of their choice without any further manipulation and intimidation as stipulated in the signed peace agreement.
- Reconstitute/establish all institutions of governance as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement
- Start reform process of all institutions of governance as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement, beginning with Security Sector Reform.
- Recall all ambassadors, South Sudan Representatives to the United Nations and appoint new ones jointly with other parties as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement, taking into account tribal, geographical and regional balancing.
- Allow immediate and speedy deployment of a regional, neutral protection force to Juba and other disputed towns in South Sudan, so as to facilitate quick return of the First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar back to Juba to assume his responsibilities and continue with the implementation of the signed Peace Agreement. Remember that, there will be no peace in South Sudan without full involvement and participation of Dr. Riek Machar and SPLA/M IO Forces under his command, since we control most parts of South Sudan.
- Stop wasting money on the current national dialogue as this dialogue will not stop the war and bring lasting peace in South Sudan
- Remove military from all roadblocks and check points in the Country and replace them with new trained police, so as to allow free movement of goods and people in and out of the country.
- Lift the state of emergency and allow people leaving the country to go without unnecessary security investigation and clearance.
- Release all individuals who are arrested because of having connections with SPLA/M IO and order the security forces not to arrest, torture or kill any civilians or loot their properties.
- All those who have lost their properties be compensated so that they can rebuild themselves and start a new life.
- Let the military be withdrawn from the SPLA/M IO base at Jebel, so that this base can be rehabilitated before the return of the First Vice President and his forces.
- Dismiss the current so called First Vice President Mr. Taban Deng Gai as he is the real obstacle to any peace agreement and has no control over SPLA/M IO Forces.
- Increase and pay regular salaries of all government employees, who have now stayed six months without pay and are suffering with their families, instead wasting South Sudanese money to finance the war.
- Your excellency, giving up on JMEC and IGAD due to their failure to bring peace in South Sudan, we SPLM/A-IO call on the new United States government, TROIKA, AU, EU, UN and the rest of the international community to quickly take over and support a new political process that will bring permanent ceasefire, lasting peace, dialogue and reconciliation. Peace is possible if the above mentioned/outlined steps and points are taken seriously by the government and the international community. Remember, South Sudan government will never defeat SPLA/M IO Militarily and lasting peace will not be achieved without full involvement and participation of our Chairman and Commander in Chief Dr. Riek Machar, since we control large parts of South Sudan and have a big army in the bushes of South Sudan.
Congratulations to you once again for your timely appointment as United States Ambassador to South Sudan.
Lt. General Wesley Welebe Samson
Deputy Chief of Staff for Training
SPLA/M IO Headquarters
August 4, 2017