Open letter to UN Secretary General about expulsion of Equatorian citizens working and living in Jonglei State and other Dinka dominated States.
Dear UN Secretary General,
By Lt. General Wesley Welebe Samson,
July 8th, 2017(Nyamilepedia) —— I am writing to you to inform you about what the South Sudan Government under President Salva Kiir is doing to Equatorians in South Sudan as follows;
- Though Jonglei is part of the Republic of South Sudan and any citizen has a right to live and work anywhere within the territory of South Sudan, the South Sudan government is now using Bor youth to expel them within 72 hours from Jonglei State. The youth, in the letter, said they want Equatorians working in their area to leave within 72 hours or face consequences in revenge for alleged death of members of the Dinka community killed on Juba-Yei, Juba- Bor and Juba-Nimule roads.
- The government is now being tribalized and run by one tribe (Dinka), though there are 64 tribes in the country.
- Polarization of the country through hate statement by the government against non Dinka tribes, calling them rebels, to justify their arrests, torture and killings.
- Daily looting and stealing of the properties of non Dinkas in South Sudan
- Daily illegal arrests, torture and killings of non Dinkas in South Sudan.
- Prevention of non Dinkas from any gainful employment or business in South Sudan
- Denial of humanitarian aid not to be delivered to many affected population in Equatoria, claiming that these affected areas are controlled by rebels. Therefore, they are using food as a weapon to depopulate the non Dinkas, particularly Equatorians.
- Occupying Equatorian plots and lands by force
- Allowing Dinka cattle to eat all crops of Equatorians who are predominantly farmers and forcing them to leave South Sudan.
Therefore, in order to stop such human rights violations, end the suffering of our people and bring lasting peace to South Sudan, I would like to appeal to United Nations to prevail upon President Salva Kiir and his government to immediately do the following:-
- That President Salva Kiir must dissolve the government with immediate effect.
- That President Salva Kiir must declare unconditional immediate ceasefire.
- That President Salva Kiir must dismiss Taban Deng Gai and replace him with Dr. Riek Machar and recommit himself to the genuine and speedy implementation of the signed Peace Agreement, beginning with the following points which have already been agreed upon during their Presidency meeting before July 2016 incident:-
- Total demilitarization of Juba and other contested towns.
- Immediate deployment of Joint Integrated police to Juba town and other contested towns as per the signed peace agreement.
- Stop operationalization of the thirty two States with immediate effect and form a committee to look into this matter as per the previous IGAD Communiqué and return the country to ten original States in line with the signed peace agreement.
- Immediate establishment of cantonment sites for all IO forces in Equatoria and other parts of South Sudan and provision of all needed logistics for them.
- Reconstitute the parliament and allow the Equatorians to choose a Speaker of their choice without any further manipulation and intimidation as stipulated in the signed peace agreement.
- Reconstitute/establish all institutions of governance as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement
- Start reform process of all institutions of governance as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement
- Recall all ambassadors, South Sudan Representatives to the United Nations and appoint new ones jointly with other parties as stipulated in the signed Peace Agreement, taking into account tribal, geographical and regional balancing.
- Allow and speed up immediate deployment of a Regional Protection Force to Juba and its surroundings, so as to facilitate quick return of the First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar back to Juba to assume his responsibilities and continue with the implementation of the signed Peace Agreement.
- Remove military from all roadblocks and check points in the Country and replace them with police, so as to allow free movement of goods and people in and out of the country.
- Lift the state of emergency and allow people leaving the country to go without unnecessary security investigation and clearance.
- Release all individuals who are arrested because of having connections with SPLA/M IO and order the security forces not to arrest, torture or kill any civilian or loot their properties.
- All those who have lost their properties be compensated so that they can rebuild themselves and start a new life.
- Let the military be withdrawn from the IO base at Jebel, so that this base can be rehabilitated before the return of the First Vice President and his forces.
- Call upon all people of South Sudan who are staying in government controlled areas to stage peaceful demonstrations against the regime in Juba. The time for silent suffering and death must end now. Let your voices be heard my people. Let the youth join us and we are ready to receive them.
- Call upon the Chairman of Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission to tender his resignation with immediate effect as he has failed to do what is right and taken side with South Sudan Government.
- Call upon President Salva Kiir to immediately stop expulsion of Equatorians from Jonglei State.
Lt. General Wesley Welebe Samson
Deputy Chief of Staff for Training
SPLA/M IO General Headquarters
July 7, 2017