Government Bombardments Killed Civilians in Mundri East, Equatoria
Nov 29, 2016(Nyamilepedia) —— An aerial campaign by South Sudan government in Mundri East has killed scores of civilians and displaced tens of thousands in the last three days.
Speaking from Mundri East, Elias Taban, alleged that a government bombardment on Saturday and Sunday has killed 8 people comprising of 3 children, 2 mothers and 3 elderly men.
[ad name=”Google Ads 03″]
Confirming the reports, Dickson Gatluak of SPLM/SPLA-IO alleged that at least 25, 000 people have been displaced by South Sudan government bombardment in East Mundri.
“The purpose of this press statement is to strongly condemn the ongoing and unnecessary killing of civilians and displacement of nearly 25,000 people by the SPLA soldiers in Mundri East County of Western Equatoria.” Said Major. Dickson Gatluak, the SPLA-IO deputy spokesperson.
“The aerial bombardment by helicopter gunships killed dozens of civilians and a Hugh population displaced. The recent attack in Mundri East of Equartoria was a clear violation of human rights.” Gatluak continued.
The SPLM/SPLA in Opposition calls on IGAD and AU to intervene to investigate the appalling killings of civilians by government gunships in Equatoria region.
“We especially call upon the JMEC, IGAD, AU, and UNMISS to immediately investigate the appalling killings and grievous atrocities committed by the SPLA- forces in Equatoria State, and ensure that those behind these systematic massacres, abuses of human rights and violation of international humanitarian law in this county and other parts of South Sudan are held responsible.” He said.
Although it is yet to be verified, South Sudan government authorities prevents CTSAMM from entering Yei, Leer and other areas to investigate atrocities that have been allegedly committed by Salva Kiir’s SPLA faction in those areas.
Gatluak sends condolences to affected families on behave of SPLM/SPLA-IO.
“We in the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA-IO) would like to send our deepest condolences and sympathies to the people of Mundri East who lost their dear ones, whose properties were looted or destroyed in the attacks, and who are now being forced to flee and seek some safety in the bushes” Major Dickson Gatluak Jock continued.
In other reports, although JMEC and JMCC are working on cantonment of forces in Equatoria, Salva Kiir government has dispatched newly trained militias to Eastern and Western Equatoria from Wednesday last week.
According to observers, the new militias from Unity State could be cantoned in respective areas in Equatoria as forces for Gen. Taban Deng’s SPLA-IO faction.