Fighting in Nasir – Upper Nile State
July 30, 2016(Nyamilepedia) —- South Sudan rival forces loyal to president Salva Kiir and First Vice President, Dr. Riek Machar, have resumed offensive in Nasir county of Upper Nile state.
According to Dukhan Jundit Both, a spokesman of SPLM/SPLA-IO in the county, Salva Kiir’s loyal forces have attacked their position this morning outside Nasir town.
“Salva Kiir Mayardit SPLM_Juba is on offensive again for third time in our defensive positions in Nasir County.” Both said.
“This month the president Kiir force had attacked our forces twice on 7th and 8th July, 2016 just after the fighting broke out in Juba between the bodyguards of First Vice President, Dr Riek Machar-Teny, and president Salva Kiir’s presidentials guards in Palace or J1.” Both continued.
[ad name=”Google Ads 03″]
Both confirmed that Kiir forces have been shelling SPLA-IO forces around Nasir in Ketbek, Dhording ,Koat, Nordeng and Wangboup areas at Kuetrengke Payam this morning.
“Let the world know that shelling our position by Salva Kiir forces since 4:30 am today on Sunday ,is a clear violation of peace as they did last week by appointing their friend General Taban Deng Gai as illegitimate first vice president in Juba.” Both continued.
Both went on to say that the opposition has self-defended, however, they may return fire if the offensives continued.
“In self-defense we most fight as the bullets are burning hut of cattle ,crops and endangering the life of children ,vulnerable people’s and pregnant women in Nasir” he said.
Both believes that their forces are not responding because they are respecting the ceasefire agreement while waiting for a third party force to be deployed in the country soon.
“As our chairman declared on 14/7/2016 ,SPLM IO is awaiting the arrival of the third party forces from IGaD to be buffer zone between the two rivals army in juba.” Both continued.
Latest reports from Nasir alleged that gunshots were heard at Wecyar Adiu, at the outskirts of Nasir a few minutes ago.