Feb 08, 2016(Nyamilepedia) —- Latest reports from South Sudan’s Upper Nile region confirm a full scale resumption of war in multiple areas in violation of a permanent ceasefire agreement signed by the warring parties last year.
According to reports from five of South Sudan’s ten states of Upper Nile, Unity, Jonglei, Western and Eastern Equatoria States, the main warring faction under President Salva Kiir has launched and prepares to launch more attacks on SPLA/SPLM (IO) strongholds.
Confirmed by James Gatdet Dak, the Spokesperson in SPLM/SPLA Chairman’s office, government troops have launched simultaneous attacks on Monday on SPLA-IO positions in Wedakona and Tubagiya, South of Malakal, in Upper Nile state.
“Government forces have on Monday attacked SPLA-IO military base at Deba in Wedakona area in Upper Nile state.” Said James Gatdet Dak, the spokesperson of SPLM/SPLA Chairman, Dr. Riek Machar Teny.
“Government forces also shelled our military camp in Tubagiya, south of Malakal on Monday.” Gatdet continued.
Gatdet confirms that the attacking government troops at Deba in Wedakona were repulsed and one soldier was captured alive by the SPLA-IO forces.
The spokesman also believes that another forces from the government garrisons based in Pariang have moved out from the county headquarters heading towards Tunga and Kodok with the aim to attack the SPLA-IO bases and designated cantonment locations in the areas.
Gatdet blames the government of Salva Kiir for continuing the war when the parties are committing to a peace agreement signed last year.
“This unprovoked aggression is a serious violation of the Permanent Ceasefire Agreement signed between the parties. These latest developments indicate that President Kiir’s government is not committed to the implementation of the Ceasefire and Security Arrangements.” Gatdet said.
“The government seems to be looking for a military option. SPLA-IO forces have been instructed to respect the Ceasefire Agreement and can only respond in self-defence when under attack.” he continued.
In Western and Eastern Equatoria states, SPLA-IO forces under the direct command of Maj. General Wesley Welebe and Alfred Futiyo have accessed government troops of preparing attacking on their positions in Yambio and Mundri. The two counties have not sustained a meaningful peace in the areas for the last one year.
In other reports, South Sudan’s Chief of army, Gen. Paul Malong, who has been identified by the United Nations Security Council for violating the peace agreement, went to his home town of Aweil on Friday to graduate a new battalion of new recruits.
According to insiders’ reports, Malong graduated over 3500 of “Mathiang Ayoor” this weekend and immediately returned to Juba.
The Chief of army, who still holds the SPLM Chairman of Northern Bhar el Ghazal State, is reportedly amending relations with President Salva Kiir, Minister of Defense and other senior generals in the army. However, the general who has been actively recruiting new fighters is believed to be preparing for a new war to maintain a position he held for the last two years of war.
South Sudan government, under Salva Kiir, has invested over $ 1.5 billions US dollars in the war, according to Frontier Economics, Conflict Resolution (CECORE) and the Centre for Peace and Development Studies (CPDS) Cost of War Reports, within the last two years.
The government is believed to have bought at least 3 MI Jet fighters, tanks, ammunition and hired foreign firms to lobby against sanctions, arms embargo and travel bans of the senior generals and politicians conducting the war.