Breaking News: Government Used Chemical Weapons On SPLM- IO Forces in Lanyi Mundri East County
Jan 31, 2016(Nyamilepedia) —- Heavy fighting was reported between Government forces and SPLM – IO Forces in Lanyi in Mundri East County this morning. According to the report, the government left their base in Lanyi and entered towards the SPLM-IO site where the fighting took place.
The field commander of the SPLM- IO forces in Mundri East contacted by Nyamilepedia said his forces managed to engage the government forces on self-defense from entering the cantonment site and they pursued them up to their camp before he ordered his forces to withdraw.
“On arriving to their camp in Lanyi they government started bombing towards our forces with very unique weapon which has led our forces to go blind and started vomiting seriously,” the SPLM-IO force commander said.
“About forty (40) of our forces went blind in a second due to the effect of what we suspected to be a chemical weapon fired on us,” the SPLM- IO forces commander added, “but we are able to salvage them very fast by moving them to the site and give them first aid”
“The SPLA – Juba unit in Mundri are not the kind that can protect the lives and properties of the civilians,” said a headman in the area. Besides the ceasefire declared by the government of Republic of South Sudan and SPLM/SPLA (IO) leadership in August last year, government continued to deploy their forces in all villages in Greater Mundri contrary to the agreement. SPLA- Juba forces were deployed in Tapari, Jambo, Buagyi, Lanyi, and Lui in Mundri East and Okari, Kotobi, Adango, Karika and Langowa in Mundri West County.
The presence of those forces in the said locations were very destructive to the local population as they were, burning houses, arresting youths, rapping women and killing civilians. A few weeks ago in Lanyi – Mundri East, three women were kidnapped by the SPLA-Juba soldiers, the women kidnapped were still under the custody as SPLA –Juba soldiers in their camp in Lanyi till now.
A mother of two boys who said her sons were killed by the government soldiers in the area said,‘’ the conditions in which many of our people are now living in Mundri are a negative of human dignity and a disgrace to the twentieth century World. But we believed in the facts that our real security and freedom does not depend on the pressures and negativities of the government forces in our area, but it depends on the unity of the people of South Sudan and on our united discretion’’. She said, the situation in Mundri is very frightening and something which entails special attention from the IGAD and the international communities.
The unprofessional soldiers of Juba regime continuously burn the civilian sorghum fields of the local population, kidnap the youths and kill them in cold blood. It’s believed that this is a plan of the newly appointed governor of Amadi state to fulfil his mission statement that stated, “We want to forcefully go to Mundri to establish the government”.
Hon. Joseph Ngere met last week with some citizens of Greater Mundri Counties residing in Yambio and told them that he has spoken to Members of SPLA\M IO advance team who are currently in Juba, to quickly remove all SPLM/SPLA (IO) forces from Amadi State or else he will soon clear them from his State by land and air. He added that all military logistics including additional troops to clear SPLM/SPLA (IO) forces from Amadi State have been supplied and are now in Mundri to start operations during this dry season. This is a murderous statement from murderer who couldn’t hide his ego.
This statement goes against the spirit of implementing the signed peace agreement, violates the ceasefire and has the potential to encourage continuation of war in Greater Mundri Counties and create endless suffering of our people in Greater Mundri and Western Equatoria at large.