Why South Sudan is Not Qualified to Join the EAC Membership
By Ter Nguth,
Oct 25, 2015(Nyamilepedia) — Before going to the main details of this article, I want the readers to have in mind the brief knowledge on how the EAC was formed, it objectives and why we should not be a member for such an organisations,so let me not bored you. Here is how it was formed.
The EAC is an intergovernmental organisation composed of Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. It was formed in 1967, collapsed in 1977 and was revived on July 2000. The question that could come into your mind is, why it collapsed? So one shouldn’t bothered himself/herself for why such a organisation collapse, the simplest answer is, due to political different, economic motive and who should have the loinshare for the decision making of the organisation the community came to an end and revive it in 2000.
In 2008,after negotiation with SADC (Southern Africa Development community ) and COMESA (Common Market for East and Southern Africa), the EAC agreed to expand free trade area including the members state.
EAC was formed based on the objective of:
- Free trade where by the members state will not impose any trade barriers.
2. Creation of common market with free movements of labour and capital
3. Political integration where by the members state will have common law regarding immigration, East Africa court of justices, uniform tourist law and etc.
Base on the above things,is south Sudan ready to join the bloc? So let me leave the question to you as readers. To not bored you, let me briefly explains the east Africa interest in South Sudan as of my observation.
In 2011, the president of Kenya and Rwanda invited the new nation in Africa to apply for membership upon the independence. The question is, why do they hurry for South Sudan to join the community? If one could remember Sudan and Somalia apply for membership of the bloc but turned down. For me the answers are simply and doesn’t need any one to be an economic graduate to see the interest behind that. So let me highlights the following points behind thier invitation.
- EAC members are known for high unemployment rate or the access of labour force over the job created by the government so they want thier access labour migrate to South Sudan to get job and work with no any hindrance or challenge, challenge like visa, costume duties and passport requirements because as the member of the bloc, they should require the young nation to allow easy movement of labour.
- South Sudan is seen by its neighboring countries as a dumping ground for thier import this is true becuase the young nation has no any factories which can compete with thier factories which produce and import low quality good as the result, they see south sudan as thier market for thier products.
- EAC members want to import thier access capital to South Sudan which will in turn goes back to thier GNP ( which is the gross national production ) which will in turn increase thier GDP (Gross Domestic products) and boosted thier economy.
Why South Sudan is not qualify to join the EAC members?
There are so many reasons for why South Sudan is not qualify for the membershipof the bloc. Here are my few point
Illiteracy: let me guess or if not 75% of South Sudanese citizens are not educated, i can said guess becuase there is no correct data for the literacy as well as illiteracy rate in the country, so if my rate is not correct you can put your correct rate, for that reason we as South Sudanese could reject that becuase this is what they seen as they want to reduce thier high rate of unemployment by sending thier people to South Sudan and work.
Infrastructure development: South Sudan is lacking behind interm of infrastructure development, as we join the bloc they will be the one doing everthings for us instead for us doing our things and this would bring dependency. We can see that from high influx of banking industry, hoteling industry and food industry all were taken by foreigner.
Unemployment: as soon as we join the membership of the EAC,the newly graduate young South Sudanese will not have a room for employment opportunity as employer will require work experience and better qualification so they will neglect the newly graduate which will result in to high unemployment to the native people. It’s also true that high unemployment rate for youth always lead to high rate of crime as the result, it will also cost government to tackle the rate of crime which is another problem.
Economic dependence: joining EAC will lead to economic dependence foe the new born nation since south sudan has no commodity for which they are best at it’s production. The new born nation will necessarily depend on the EA countries for the supply of commodity which they are not able to produce
Therefore based on my own observation, South Sudan is not in position to join the community bloc because of the following reasons.
- We are not in a position to compete with EAC members in all case because they were in business for 20 to 30 years.
2. We shall not get equal share from the bloc in term of trade as we will be absolutely depending on their imported goods.
3. Owings to the competition from trade, we shall not be able to protect our infant industry from their well established industry.
4. It will endanger our economy and political independent as we shall totally depend on them.
The writer is an economist and assistance lecturer in Mikese University of Western Equatoria. He can be reach via firstname.lastname@example.org