South Sudan: Warring Factions Clash In Magwi County, Eastern Equatoria.

SPLA soldiers drive to the frontline at Mathiang from their military base in Bor, South Sudan, January 26, 2014. The government and rebels in South Sudan traded accusations on Saturday of breaking a ceasefire deal supposed to calm violence that has driven half a million people from their homes. Picture taken January 26, 2014. REUTERS/George Philipas (SOUTH SUDAN - Tags: CIVIL UNREST POLITICS CRIME LAW)

SPLA soldiers drive to the frontline at Mathiang from their military base in Bor, South Sudan, January 26, 2014. The government and rebels in South Sudan traded accusations on Saturday of breaking a ceasefire deal supposed to calm violence that has driven half a million people from their homes. Picture taken January 26, 2014. REUTERS/George Philipas (SOUTH SUDAN – Tags: CIVIL UNREST POLITICS CRIME LAW)

August 12, 2015(Nyamilepedia) — The armed opposition, SPLM/SPLA, accuses the government forces of attacking its “tactical base” in Magwi County of Eastern Equatoria.

According to the office of Dr. Oyet Nathaniel Pierino, the Military Governor of the newly proposed Imatong State for SPLM/SPLA in Opposition, pro-government forces attacked their position at 5am on Tuesday, 12th August, 2015

“Today 12/08/2015 at 5:00 am, pro-government forces in a flagrant violation of Cessation of Hostilities Agreement attacked our forces in Magwi West area of Magwi County” said the Information Secretary and Spokesperson, Maj. Auwas Simon Pidomoe.

Maj. Auwas, the Information Secretary and Spokesman of Imatong State, believes that their forces in the contested county were observing Cessation of Hostility Agreement before the latest attack by the government troops, an impression that Juba is yet to respond to.

“Our forces under the operation Command of Commander Lam Paul and under the Battalion command of Commander Michael Odongtoo were observing CoH Agreement in the base when they came under this flagrant violation and enemy fire.” Maj. Auwas said.

“Our gallant forces quickly repulsed the attackers inflicting losses. Two soldiers from the enemy were killed and unidentified numbers of enemy’s soldiers were wounded leaving spill of blood all over the place.” The spokesman alleges.

Auwas believes that their forces have captured 1 PKM, 1 AK47 and 1 Samsung Smart Phone from the defeated government troops.

“Our forces got (01) AK47 riffle and (01) PKM machine gun and a Samsung smart phone.” Auwas said.

“Our forces are now on hot pursuit of the enemy forces. We are warning government forces that any such violation will never be tolerated. There will be prompt retaliation and grave consequences for any attacks.” he continued.

According to Dr. Oyet, the Military Governor of the state, the government of Salva Kiir is “illegitimate to the fullness of its actions and scope” and therefore the rebels do not recognize it.

“Kiir must step down to avoid plunging the country into total chaos.” He said.

Although the South Sudanese warring factions are fighting on the western part of the county, Ugandan People Defense Force occupies Pajok Payam of Magwi County.

The UPDF encroached Magwi County last week and deployed their heavy weapons, displacing civil population, in what they believe was a response to border dispute.

One comment

  • Nikalongo sanduksanduk

    This is a white lie. Tell the truth and not empty nonsense. There are no military presence in Magwi county apart from a training school at Owiny-ki-bul. The people of Magwi county are not going to be part of your tribal and senseless war. They do not live on handouts from the thugs in Juba and Pagak. Take your (Dinka and Nuer) war to your backyards.

    NB: There are no UPDF in Pajok.