SUDAN PEOPLE’S LIBERATION MOVEMENT/ARMY- RESISTANCE MOVEMENT
SPLM/A-USA Election Guidelines
25 APRIL 2015 –MINNEAPOLIS, MN
SPLM/A–USA, 25 APRIL 2015 ELECTION GUIDELINES
LOCATION OF THE VENUE: LAND OF 10,000 LAKES.. 12
[TITLE AND COMMENCEMENT].. 3
NAMES AND SEATS OF THE PARTY:.. 3
- Coordinator.. 3
- Deputy.. 3
- Secretary.. 3
- Finance.. 3
[Preliminary provisions for an “Exceptional” Election].. 4
GENERAL OVERVIEW:.. 4
PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATION:.. 5
SECTION 1 – GENERAL PROVISIONS.. 5
SECTION 2 – DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES.. 5
SECTION 3 – CONTENDERS OR CANDIDATES.. 6
SECTION 4 – BALLOTING PROCEDURE.. 6
SECTION 5 – BALLOT COLLECTION, TALLY PROCEDURE.. 7
SECTION 6 – RUNOFF PROCEDURES.. 7
SECTION 7 – INSTALLATION OF OFFICERS.. 8
TITLE AND COMMENCEMENT
This shall be referred to as the “Exceptional Guidelines and rules to elect the Office of the SPLM/A- Resistance Movement National Secretariat, 25 April 2015” and shall come into force on the date of its signature by the chairperson of the SPLM/A-Resistance Movement–U.S.A, and the chairperson of the election committee.
NAMES AND SEATS OF THE PARTY:
The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement is hereby transformed into a political party to be known as “The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement hereinafter referred to as the Party or Movement and abbreviated “SPLM-Resistance Movement”.
The seat of the SPLM H/Qs in U.S.A shall be in Washington, D.C. The seat of the State, Women and Youth League Secretariats shall be in the capitals of the respective administrative units.
Meetings of the SPLM national organs shall be held at the SPLM-Resistance Movement’s office of the Representative; however, a national organ may convene in any other place inside the U.S.A. and shall be determined by the Chairperson and the official Representative of the SPLMA in the US.
The SPLM/A-Resistance Movement party in the U.S.A, under the leadership of Dr. Riek Machar Teny- Dhourgon, will have elections for its National Secretariat on 25 April 2015. The positions in contention are as follows:
Chairperson; leader of a given organ of the party
Chapter; refers to state organ
Contender; person running for a seat
Delegate; person allowed to cast a vote in election nominated by chapter chairperson
Election Commission/committee; a group appointed to run all election activities
Exceptional Guidelines &rules; temporary rules guiding election
Party; means the Sudan’s People Liberation Movement
Situation Room; designated area by Election committee to operate in privacy
Resources: pertains to funds monetary or financial
Preliminary provisions for an 2015 SPLM/A -Election
In accordance with this Guidelines of the SPLM/A Election Commission and the approval of the leadership, led by Dr. Riek Machar Teny-Dhourgon and in support of SPLM-Resistance Movement Representative to the U.S.A, and Chairman of the SPLM/A, Hon. Reath Tang, we the Election Commission/balloting committee designate the following date [25 April 2015] and time [11:00 am Central Time] in Minneapolis, MN to conduct the national election. The election commissioner calls on all qualified candidates wishing to contend the following seats:
- The intention of this guidelines and rules is to encourage fair, transparent and successful elections.
- The committee will not take soliciting letters of nomination or circulating petitions to be nominated may not use the nomination process for campaign purposes beyond asking for nomination letters or signatures on petitions.
- Each candidate receives a copy of these guidelines and a statement to sign, certifying that he/she has read the “Election guidelines and rules; promises to abide by them; will immediately report any deviations of which he/she becomes aware to the Elections Committee; and will notify and try to correct any supporter upon learning of an actual or potential deviation.
- In writing, candidates are to state their own positions on issues and their own plans for the party directly and positively.
- Candidates/supporters may not make personal attacks against other candidates.
- A candidate is responsible for financing his campaign and the candidate fee $250.
- Any candidate interested in legally raising funds for his/her campaign is allowed to do so.
- The financial contribution from the state Chapter for the Election, must be send to Election commission as soon as this guidelines are made public
- All chapters must contribute $250 toward the election; this payment must be paid by 01 March 2015
- Candidates may express their views openly to the public, however; A candidates must not recruit and sway appointed delegates in anyway. Candidates may openly write in public media or forum as effort to educate voters of their views.
- Candidate may communicate all questions and concern to members of election committee on phone or via email: , .
- Candidates must appear professional on the day of election, and; use appropriate language to present his/her self.
- All candidates must acknowledge and accept the final election results presented by the election commission by a concession speech.
SECTION 1 – GENERAL PROVISIONS
Elections will be held by referendum, and all balloting will be conducted by use of a secret ballot. The official ballot returned envelope will have on its face an official number assigned to each member. A list of names of the membership shall be obtained from the membership department at the National office. The election commission/balloting committee shall assign a number to each member for the purpose of checking, at the time of ballot, the voting eligibility of the members whose ballots have been returned. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in these bylaws, all ballots will be returned to the “situation room” predetermined by the election/balloting committee to ensure the secrecy of the ballots, and will be held there until the time designated for the counting of such ballots.
Except or unless otherwise specifically provided herein, any challenge to the conduct an election must be made in accordance with the National Election Committee, and Chairman of the Committee. The committee shall release a copy of the SPLM/A constitution and guidelines with this version.
SECTION 2 – DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The duties of the chairman of the election commission are to lead the election committee in order to facilitate a democratic, fair and transparent election.
- The duties of the election committee shall be to observe and carry out all activities pertaining to the election.
- The duties of the special delegation are to vote and elect a winner for all seats by majority rule.
- The duties of the chairpersons of all SPLM/A-Resistance Movement chapters in U.S.A shall be to nominate 5 qualified persons to the post of election delegation, and present their names in writing to the election committee by 15 February 2015.
- Failure to present delegates might be subjected to investigation by the election committee, which may lead to the questioning of loyalty to movement for the alleged person.
- The secretary of finance of the election commission shall be responsible for managing election finance and shall present a report to the chairman of the election commission within 30 days following the conclusion of a successful election.
SECTION 3 – CONTENDERS OR CANDIDATES
- A candidate who wishes to run for an office must be in good standing, 18 years of age and above with a clean criminal record, and must be accepted by the election committee. Candidate declaration must be in writing and be delivered to the election commission/balloting committee no later than 01 March 2015.
- No candidate may run or campaign for more than one seat in the office during the election.
- A candidate running for a seat in the office must pay $250.00 application fee.
- The election commission/balloting committee shall deem a candidate qualified/disqualified. If a candidate is disqualified, the candidate must be notified in writing and a reason for the disqualification.
- The election commission will approve no more than five qualified candidates per a seat in contention.
- The election commission/balloting committee will be in charged for the safekeeping of the candidates.
- In case of no candidate show up at all, the chairperson and official Representative for the SPLM/A in the US, will either confirm the election commission or appoint new office on the May 01, 2015.
SECTION 4 – BALLOTING PROCEDURE
- A maximum number of 5 delegates must be nominated from each SPLM/A Chapter, and; they are to arrive at election location by no later than 3 April 2015; Out of the 5 persons nominated, only 4 are allowed to cast votes; the 5th person shall only be allowed a vote in place of an absent delegate granted the election commission must be informed of the change 30 minutes prior to opening of the polls –Otherwise the said individual will take no part in the election, but may freely observe the elections.
- Each delegate is only allowed one vote per one seat contended.
- The election commission/balloting committee will ensure the proper and timely preparation of ballots without partiality as to candidates. The names of the candidates for each separate office will appear in alphabetical order. The ballots will contain voting instructions consistent with these bylaws.
- The ballots prepared by the election commission/balloting committee will be the only official ballots. No others may be used. A sufficient number of ballots will be printed and distributed. The election commission/balloting committee will maintain a record of the ballots.
- Ballots must be sent to a predetermined depository location, “Situation Room”. Secrecy of the ballots must be assured. No signature of any voter or other distinguishing mark will appear on the ballot. A signed or marked ballot will automatically be ruled ineligible.
- Ballots will be distributed to the voting delegation on 25 April 2015. Ballots must be returned to the depository by same date. Ballots not received in the depository by this date will not be counted.
- In case of an absence by a delegate member, the 5th delegate will be allowed to vote in his place, and/or; said delegate may choose to vote online either via Google drive or Skype in the situation room.
- Any delegate who fails to either cast his/her vote personally or via Google chat or Skype during the day of the election will be deemed ineligible.
SECTION 5 – BALLOT COLLECTION, TALLY PROCEDURE
- The election commission/balloting committee will validate and count the ballots on 25 April 2015
- The election commission/balloting committee is charged with the tally of all ballots and the preparation of a report detailing the results of the election, including ballots distributed, ballots returned, ballots voided and why?
SECTION 6 – RUNOFF PROCEDURES
- In the event of a runoff election, the election commission/balloting committee will supervise the distribution of ballots. Ballots will be distributed no later than 2 hours after the original count of the ballots and resolution of any protest.
- The runoff election will be conducted in accordance with Section 4, of this document. Marked ballots will be distributed to the membership and due back into the predetermined depository no later 2 hours after the time of the distribution. In the event the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the next regular business day will be designated for the ballot count.
SECTION 7 – INSTALLATION OF OFFICERS
- New officers take office on 25 April 2015. In the result of a runoff election, such officers will take office 01 May 2015 days after the results of the runoff election are finalized.
- Article (7:15): Before assuming office, the winners of all contended seats, in the presence of the chairman, and official Representative shall take the following oath of office:
- After assuming the office, the new elected coordinator in consultation with official representative will arrange for the Election of the state chapters, Women League, and Youth League
Document signed on page 10
“I………….(name) ………………………………….,do hereby swear by the Almighty God/ solemnly affirm that I shall as ———- ——-(title)————- abide by, respect and uphold the vision, mission, aims and objectives of the SPLM, as set out in its Constitution and other basic documents; and that I shall perform my functions and duties honestly, diligently and without fear or favour, respect the structures of the Party and serve the Party to the best of my ability, and that I shall defend the unity and Page 8 of 45Constitution of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement May, 2008 integrity of the Party and its principles, so help me God/God is my witness.”
Hon. Reath Muoch Tang
Representative to USA Washington, D.C
Signed and date
Cde. Matthew Dobuol Ruon
Chairperson Election Commission,
SPLM-Resistance Movement, USA
Signed and date
SPLM/A-USA Election Committee (2015)
- Matthew Dobuol (MN) –Chairperson
- Taban Arome(MN) -Deputy
- Intigabat Dunggak(TN) –General Secretary
- James Thurbil(CO) –Finance Secretary
- Daniel Lolik(TX) _Sec. of Informati Implementation
- Changkuoth Gatkuoth –Secretary for Election
- Ruot Chuol -Sec. for Public Engagement
- Bol Ruach -Secretary for ballot Security
- Kim Chuol – Secretary for Election Materials
- Paul Khor Puoch -General Advisor
15 February, all the names of delegates must be submitted
01 March, Candidates submissions are closed at midnight, chapter chairs pay fees
03 April, Delegates arrive on site
25 April, Election conducted, ballots counted
10 April, New coordinating office takes charge
Cde. Matthew Dobuol
SPLM/A-USA Election Commission
25 APRIL 2015 – ELECTION
SUDAN PEOPLES LIBRATION MOVEMENT/ARMY
LOCATION OF THE VENUE: LAND OF 10,000 LAKES