Khartoum: Special Consultation on Support of the IGAD-Led South Sudan Peace Process
Opening Remarks by General Taban Deng Gai,
SPLM/SPLA Chief Negotiator.
Ladies and gentlemen;
Jan 12, 2015(Nyamilepedia) — Allow me to sincerely thank H.E Minister Wang Yi for his commitment to help South Sudanese in search for a just and lasting peace in South Sudan. Mr. Minister your country’s initiative to reinforce the peace process launched by IGAD a year ago to bring peace and stability to South Sudan is fully welcomed and whole heartedly accepted by the SPLM/SPLA. We acknowledge the tremendous support the government of the People’s Republic of China gives to IGAD in the peace process.
My Chairman and Commander In Chief of SPLM/SPLA Comrade Dr. Riek Machar Teny delegated me and my colleagues in the SPLM/SPLA to participate and deliberate in this consultative conference in search for a comprehensive and sustainable peace for the people of South Sudan.
I would like also to thank the government of Sudan through the Minister of Foreign Affairs H.E Ali Kerti for the warm welcome and hospitality given to me and my delegation. And also thank you for hosting South Sudanese people living in this country. Minister Karti your government support and help in search for durable peace in South Sudan is deeply appreciated. Please extend our sincere appreciation to President of the Republic of the Sudan Field Marshall Omer Al Bashir for his commitment to peace process in South Sudan.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
My delegation is committed to peace and we have been negotiating with the government of South Sudan in Ethiopia to sign a comprehensive Peace deal, which will restore peace and stability in South Sudan.
Your Excellencies; ladies and gentlemen, for peace to be comprehensive and lasting in South Sudan we in the SPLM/SPLA have proposed the following solutions;
- Full implementation of the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement signed on January 23, 2014, which commits parties to cease fire and withdrawal of foreign troops from the Republic of South Sudan.
- Full commitment to the implementation of the agreement on humanitarian matters which allows humanitarian organizations to operate unfettered humanitarian access in all areas of South Sudan specially the four corridors of Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda borders with South Sudan.
- Establishment of Transitional Federal Government of National Unity (TFGONU) with clear mandates and powers to implement the agreement. The structure of this TFGONU shall be President as Head of State, Prime Minister as Head of Government and the Council of Ministers.
- Establishment of a federal system of governance with full devolution of powers that include financial competence for the states.
- Implementation of key public sector reforms not only limited to security, civil service, fiscal and resource management, but also a total reforms of the whole system of government in South Sudan.
- Ensuring Justice and Accountability for the victims massacred in Juba and elsewhere.
- And ensuring adequate compensation and reparation for the victims who lost lives and property as a result of the conflict in South Sudan.
I want to assure you that the SPLM/SPLA is committed to peacefully resolve the conflict in South Sudan and urge my colleagues from the Government of the Republic South Sudan to commit to peace process so that we end the war.
Finally, allow me to thank the government of the People’s Republic of China, through your good office, for this important initiative, which in our view reinforces the IGAD mediation process to bring durable peace to the Republic of South Sudan.
I also take this opportunity to thank the government of the Republic of Sudan through the good office of the minister of Foreign Affairs H.E. Ali Karti for hosting this important peace consultative conference. The government of Sudan under the able leadership of Field Marshal Omer Al Bashir has demonstrated neutrality, good will and providing humanitarian access by hosting South Sudanese refugees in Sudan since the conflict erupted.
Thanks to Ambassador Seyoum Mesfin chief mediator of IGAD and his colleagues the special envoys, General El Dabi and General Sambeywo. We appreciate the effort of IGAD countries for working tirelessly to bring peace to South Sudan.