EASTERN JIKANY NUER DIASPORAS’S PRESS RELEASE STATEMENT
EASTERN JIKANY NUER COUNCIL OF AUSTRALIA INC
Nov 11, 2014(Nyamilepedia) — Eastern Jikany Nuer Council of Australia, Jikany Nuer Community Association in Canada, and Jikany Community of United States strongly reject any agreement involving Salva Kiir Mayardit in South Sudan leadership.
Brief background of the Organization: the Unification of Eastern Jikany Nuer World Wide came into effect in 2013 under the leadership of Kir Riek Majiok (Australia), John Pur Kuon (Canada) and Mary Nyanthuok Muon (United States). The unification sees members and leaders work together on a mission for peace, unity and development (P.U.D) for South Sudan. It is for this cause that the members donated $30,000 US Dollars for P.U.D. unfortunately the mission didn’t go as intended due to the coup planned by Salva Kiir Mayardit’s government whom he ordered his militia to target and kill people based on their ethnicity.
As we have been closely monitoring the peace process since January 2014, we observed that some of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) leaders were not sincere or committed to bringing peace to the people of South Sudan. The motive behind the Nuer genocide in Juba in December 2013 has never been mentioned in the peace process. On 27 October 2014, Dr. Majak Agot informed the people in a press conference that President Salva Kiir recruited and trained 15,000 militias from Dinka tribes in two States of Warrap and Northern Bahr El Ghazel. Dr Majak assured the people that these forces were responsible for the genocide committed in Juba. Dr Majak is a Dinka by tribe, but he is the man who told the truth to the nation he belongs to. He further stated that Salva Kiir, the president of South Sudan has turned the party and the government into tribal entities although the whole tribe of Dinka do not support him, or benefit from his government.
The president Salva kiir was the one who ordered his own militias to commit genocide in Juba against Nuer Nation. The killing of 10,000 Nuer civilians including women and children was best described and reported by The United Nations Mission in South Sudan in the reports released on 26 February 2013.
The report covered the period from 15 December until 31 January 2014. On 16 December, the Sudan People Liberation Army (SPLA) elements of the Dinka tribe in uniform reportedly began targeting the Nuer civilians who were beaten, arrested and killed after the president imposed a curfew in Juba. Notably, the daily house by house, hotel to hotel searches and killings of civilians of the Nuer origin continued in Juba. On 18 December, searches were conducted in areas known to be populated by the Nuer tribe including Mia-Saba, Mangaten, Eden, Lologo, and Jebel as well as other parts of Juba. On the same day 800 civilians took shelter in the United Nations compound.
On 30 May 2014, General Daw Aturjong justified why president Salva had to go. He stated that in 2010, under the Salva Kiir government, genocide was committed against the Dinka tribe of Pagi County where many civilians were killed just because the late George Athor from this community opposed the regime of Salva Kiir. In 2011, civilians from the Shiluk and the Murle Tribes were targeted and killed in similar ways. In 2012, the Faratits of Bahr El Ghazel were also targeted and killed. These killings happened in the eyes of the international community, which continue to turn a blind eye on Salva Kiir’s practices. On 15 December 2013 the president Salva Kiir ordered killings of the Nuer civilians in Juba, under the pretext of an alleged coup attempt led by Dr. Riek Machar and other Sudan People Liberation Army or Moment (SPLA / M ) leaders. These crimes committed by the president clearly indicate that Salva Kiir has nothing good to offer the Nation except fabricated lies to eliminate his opponents who are critical to how the country is being run. Where is the justice and human rights that the world is pretending to offer?
15 December 2013 Juba Nuer Genocide
Questions the Eastern Jikany Nuer community raised:
- If Dr. Machar and others attempted the alleged coup, would this be a license to give the president the right to kill the Nuer civilians, including women and children who have nothing to do with politics. Does this give them the right to give forceful cesarean operations to women and kill them and the baby too?
- If the rumors we heard about the Arusha, Tanzania meeting are true ‘to consider the President Salva Kiir to continue as the president of the Republic of South Sudan for the next few years’, what is the logic behind this and where is the common sense to stop the president who killed the very civilians who brought him in power?
- Why didn’t President Salva Kiir lose legitimacy after he ordered the genocidal massacre of innocent civilians simply because of his opponent Dr. Riek Machar from the Nuer tribe?
- Why didn’t President Salva Kiir lose legitimacy as the president after killing and targeting the Shiluk, Murle, and Faratits Tribes, simply because they and their community members claimed their rights?
Eastern Jikany Nuer community’s position
First and foremost, the Eastern Jikany Nuer community hopes for a peaceful resolution in the South Sudan conflict. Our position is as follows and is aimed to target durable peace in South Sudan:
- Based on the facts and the crimes revealed and committed by the president Salva Kiir Mayardit; we would like to inform the people of South Sudan and the world in general that we the Eastern Jikany Nuer diasporas rejected the so called transitional government of National unity in which President Salva Kiir Mayardit who killed our mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers targeted on an ethnic basis. This torture involved burning them alive and forcing them to eat human flesh etc which is prohibited in the Nuer tradition.
- In order to make South Sudan a safer and better place for humanity and wildlife to live in peace and harmony Salva MUST step down, otherwise we will resist Salva Kiir Mayardit’s regime until he agrees to a truce. We urge all the SPLM / A in Opposition leadership, South Sudanese communities and our courageous freedom fighters to hold on the fight until the goal is achieved. Our goal is to remove the dictator and stop the genocide by bringing him to justice. There will be no end to this war if the president Salva Kiir does not step down.
- Salva Kiir Mayardit MUST announce publicly that he ordered the Nuer nation genocide and offer an apology; if not he must step down for reconciliation to take place, otherwise Eastern Jikany Nuer cannot and will not condone any agreement that involves Salva Kiir Mayardit.
- Accountability must be justified for those who massacred the Nuer nation to be handed over to the international criminal court because we have no trust in the Government of South Sudan.
- We also call for compensation for the innocent Nuer people who have been massacred, displaced to neighboring countries, and those who are refugees within their own country (UNIMIS) due to Salva Kiir Mayardit and his allies trying to impose kingdom ship in South Sudan.
- Last but not the least, for peace to prevail in South Sudan, Uganda MUST leave South Sudan and president Yoweri Museveni MUST be accountable for using cluster bombs on South Sudan soil on civilians in Jongle state comprising Bor, Murle and Lou Nuer.
John Pur Kuon, chairman, Jikany Nuer Community Association in Canada.
Isaiah Koang Malual (Vice, Canada.)
Kir Riek Majiok, President, Eastern Jikany Nuer Council of Australia,
John Wiyual Kuach (Vice- Australia)
Mary Nyanthuok Muon, Chairlady, Jikany Community of United States.
Riek Gach Gatluak (Vice – United States).
Long live the people of South Sudan, long live courageous freedom fighters and long live the Nuer nation (Nɛy ti naath).