South Sudan: Another Government Official Joins Rebels!
Updated at 11:50Pm, July 17, 2014(Pacific Time)
July 17, 2014(Nyamilepedia) — In a press conference held yesterday, July 16th, the executive SPLM secretary and program director for Kapoeta county, Lokidor Marko Lochapio, announced his defection to SPLM/A under the chairmanship of Dr. Riek Machar Teny, the former vice president.
“This is to openly inform all the media houses and the Government of South Sudan Juba and in particular Greater Kapoeta counties Eastern Equatoria state, that as from the effect of 16th/ of July 2014, I have changed my allegiance to SPLM-IO” a report obtained by Nyamilepedia reads.
Marko believes that the current government of South Sudan has lost its legitimacy and for such does not deserve to be recognized.
“As a citizen of this country I call upon all the people of South Sudan to denounce Kiir Legitimacy at this pointing time, we can’t afford to continue to be oppressed by our black fellow men when we have just come out from dictatorial and brutal regime of Khartoum.” Marko said.
Marko pleas to the youth and people of Greater Equatoria, particularly Eastern Equatoria youth, to join the revolution and devote their times and energies to establishing a constitution that will respect and value their rights and freedoms.
“I have decided to fully support the SPLM-IO and urging all the Eastern Equatoria youth to join the movement that has objectives and vision for the people of South Sudan where their constitutional rights would be respected as provided for in the Transitional constitution” Marko urged the people of Equatoria.
Like most of his counterparts, Marko urges his people to stand together and support federalism arguing that it is the right choice for the South Sudanese people.
“Another importance aspect the people of Equatoria must understand is that Federalism is a right to the people of South Sudan and we should not be dictated upon our choice that determines the future of this country.” Marko said.
“I call upon all the people of Equatoria States to stand firm and support Federalism system of governance, where state accountability shall be seen by the people of South Sudan and this is what Dr. Riek Machar Teny is advocating for” he continued.
Marko lists the following reasons as what led to his defection:
- Tyranny and dictatorial regime of the government of Salva Kiir Mayardiit that has abused the constitution of this country as provided for in Art 24 of the South Sudan Transitional constitution that advocate for the freedom of press and media.
- The killing and disarmament of the gallant forces of Equatoria sons in SPLA units is the violation of the SPLA act, as well as the constitution of this country.
- The attempt assassination of Mr. Lokidor Marko in Kapoeta by the government security apparatus on the pretext that he was alleged to have connections with the former vice president who turned rebel after alleged coup attempt.
- Poor service delivery to the people of South Sudan
- Nepotism and tribalism which are the leading and the key agenda in Kiir government are some of the factors that prompted me to join the people moment that is opting for peace and long lasting justice.
- Abuse of human rights, pursuant to Art 9 (2) of the African charter on human and people rights, which say “Every individual shall have the right to express and disseminate his/her opinion within the law affirmed by the BANJUL Charter. As well as Art 4 of African Charter on Human and people rights’ Every human being shall be entitled to respect for his life and the integrity of his person, no one may be arbitrarily deprived of his/her rights. In Light of the failed state, we the people of Eastern Equatoria should rise up and challenge Kiir Government for failing to deliver the services to our people.
Since the beginning of this conflict, many South Sudanese, politicians, youth and over 70% of the national army have continued defecting the government. Majority of the defectors cite poor leadership, dictatorial tendencies, assassination attempts and the need to reform the country to deliver services, eradicate corruption and stabilize the nation.