Troubled counterparts hold a closed door meeting in Juba as regional threats mount!
President Yoweri Museveni held a secret meeting with his troubled South Sudanese counterpart, Salva Kiir, in the capital Juba yesterday, Chimpreports has learnt.
By Honeywell Dickens Okello
February 20, 2014[JUBA] — Sources at the President’s office Bilpham, Juba, confirmed that Gen Museveni, the commander-in-chief of the Ugandan army (UPDF) which saved Kiir’s government from falling early this year, arrived in Juba aboard his private jet and directly went to State House where he held a meeting with Kiir for about two hours.
Details of their closed door meeting were not given out but sources say it is about the renewed and furious attacks by the rebels of the former vice president, Dr. Riek Machar.
The current situation is worsened by the reports of a foreign source (country)’s support to the rebels which has greatly strengthened them against the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) and the Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF).
The rebels attacked and took over the oil rich Upper Nile state of Malakal on Monday even when the MI (SPLA Military Intelligence) had gathered enough information prior to the attack giving them an earlier advantage to prevent the attack but were overpowered all the same.
The SPLA, according to eye witnesses, are withdrawing northwards after being outnumbered by the rebels under the direct command of Maj. Gen. Chayut Manyang and overall command of Maj. Gen. Gathoth Gatkouth.
The SPLA with UPDF aerial assistance launched simultaneous attacks on defence positions of rebels east and south of Malakal town but failed to push them out.
The news of UPDF withdrawal from the hotspot (South Sudan) has struck Kiir with shock since he believed that SPLA under him cannot contain the rebels, exacerbated by continuous defections to the rebel side.
The UPDF rushed to South Sudan in December last year to secure critical installations and infrastructure which was critical in the evacuation of Ugandans and other people trapped in the conflict zone.
When contacted on phone, the ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesman, Fred Opolot, confirmed the visit of president Museveni but says he is not aware of the details and is waiting to hear from State House.
“Yes the meeting was a prior scheduled one and it happened. I am still waiting for protocol at State House to feed us,” Opolot told us.